T. B. Fuller
On Niagara Becoming
an Anglican Diocese
T. B. Fuller Becomes
First Bishop of Niagara
Rev. Robert Addison
Rev. Charles Hamilton
2nd Bishop of Niagara
John Philip DuMoulin
3rd Bishop of Niagara
Clergy in the
Diocese of Niagara
in the 19th Century
|The Rt Rev John Philip DuMoulin , Third Bishop of Niagara|
The Synod of Niagara met in Hamilton on the 12th of May 1896, to elect a bishop in succession to Bishop Hamilton, translated to Ottawa. From the first the choice of the great bulk of the clergy was for Rev. Canon DuMoulin, Rector of St. James' Cathedral, Toronto; but the laity supported, by a small majority, first the Rev. Rural Dean Armitage, of St. Catharines, and then the Very Rev. Dean Carmichael, of Montreal. Six ballots were taken without result; but, on the morning of the 13th, the next (or seventh) ballot elected Canon DuMoulin, only four clergymen and six parishes voting against him.
John Philip DuMoulin was born in Dublin in the year 1836 and was educated there. For a time he was a student of Trinity College, Dublin but did not proceed to a degree. He was one of the celebrated three brought out from Ireland by Bishop Cronyn, of Huron - Sullivan, Carmichael, DuMoulin. Ordained by Bishop Cronyn in 1862 and 1863, he served as curate to Archdeacon Brough, Rector of St. John's, London Township. He married Frances, the Archdeacon's fifth daughter, in 1863.
After serving a short time as curate at Galt he was called to Montreal, where he became successively curate of Trinity Church, and assistant minister of St. James'. In 1871 be was appointed Rector of St. Thomas' Church, Hamilton. In 1872 he was elected Bishop of Algoma, but declined. (See Electing the First Bishop of Algoma) He returned to Montreal in 1875, as Rector of St. Martin's Church, from which he was called, in 1882, to be Rector of St. James' Cathedral, Toronto, an endowed living of five thousand dollars a year and rectory. Here he greatly strengthened his preaching until be made the pulpit of St. James a power, not only in Toronto, but in the whole Province. His noon Lenten sermons every day throughout Lent (except on Saturdays) were a masterly effort. Each day the large cathedral was thronged with eager listeners.
The consecration took place in St. James' on the 24th of June 1896. Archbisbop Lewis officiated, Bishop Sweatman (of Toronto) and Bishop Sullivan (of Algoma) assisting. It was a magnificent ceremony. Dean Carmichael preached the sermon. Thus the "three" now elderly men, met again from distant places - filling high positions in the Church of God. Dean Carmichael's reference to his "brother, friend, companion, of more than thirty years of strangely united life," was most touching.
from The Bishops of the Church of England in Canada and Newfoundland by Charles Henry Mockridge published in 1896
John Philip DuMoulin continued as Bishop of Niagara until his death at Hamilton, Ontario on March 29, 1911, succeeded by William Reid Clark.